Friday, August 05, 2005

Two Peas in a Pod

I'm currently enjoying "The Da Vinci Code" by Dan Brown. In that novel, the organization known as Opus Dei is used as a backdrop of corruption and conspiracy. Well, knowing Mr. Brown's capabilities as a thorough researcher, I wonder. Anyway, the teachings of this "cult" are based on a book known as "The Way" or "My Way" by Josemaria Escriva.

All this blather is to point to an Letter I found from Escriva to General Francisco Franco, that endorses Franco's pronouncement of the catholic faith as the barometer of his rule.

http://www.odan.org/escriva_to_franco.htm

Here is the key passage of that letter: [quoting Escriva]

"...I cannot help but rejoice as a priest and Spaniard that the Chief of State's authoritative voice should proclaim that, "The Spanish nation considers it a badge of honor to accept the law of God according to the one and true doctrine of the Holy Catholic Church, inseperable faith of the national conscience which will inspire its legislation."


As objectivists, we know that altruism is the foundation of all religion, and, "the hatred of the good, because it is good." Speaking for myself, I didn't learn that it was also the foundation of Marxism until I read Miss Rand. Marxism being the secularized version of religious ethics.

It all boils down to, "those who fail to learn from history, are doomed to repeat it."

Sad. Damn sad.

No comments: