Saturday, July 01, 2006

Superman Revisited

I went to see the new Superman movie yesterday and I want my money back. The one glaring fact about this new version of Superman is the obvious hatred of dogs by the scriptwriters.

I've no trouble with Routh, who plays Superman. He did his best with a bad script. A script that leans heavily on the mystical/religious side of things.

James Marsden stands out [but not too far], in an otherwise dreadful selection of cast members, who show their complete lack of acting abilities in every scene. Parker Posey, whom I loathe on principle, plays her usual role of the slut. Kevin Spacey is unconvincing as arch-nemesis Lex Luthor. Spacey is an actor so overrated I'm sure he laughs all the way to the bank, and back home again. I cannot think of a single role of his where he deserves even the slightest praise.

A telling moment in the movie is when we hear that astronomers have discovered remnants of Superman's home planet [or, where it might have been], and he leaves the world to travel there to see for himself. Apparently this was way too selfish on his part and why Lois Lane is pissed, confused and pathetic. In Metropolis, as well as in real-life, any thought of self is hailed as all-encomassing evil.

This movie deserves no more than a D+ or C-.

Don't take my word for it, see for yourself.

[Slightly revised 7/8/06]

1 comment:

Myrhaf said...

I was suspicious of this movie back on November 21, 2005, when I blogged about the trailer:

http://myrhaf.blogspot.com/2005/11/passion-of-superman.html

Superman has long been a favorite of liberal comic fans because, unlike Batman and Wolverine, who are motivated by a Mike Hammer-like love of justice, Superman is seen as the paragon of selfless sacrifice for the collective. Adding a mystical element was probably too much for Hollywood to resist; they think they're appealing to the idealism (altruism) of both the left and the right.

I don't think I can force myself to see this movie.