Saturday, January 16, 2010

Books I'm Reading in January

As you can see by my Shelfari bookshelf on the right, I've got a few books over there. What I thought I'd do is jot down here what I'm reading this month and what I've got 'on deck' for the future.
Right now I'm in a great baseball book called Game Six by Mark Frost, about the 1975 World Series game between the Boston Red Sox and the Cincinnati Reds, which featured the dramatic home run by Boston catcher Carlton Fisk which Boston won and that tied that series at three games apiece. The Reds went on to win the Series [Yeah!] but to this day, I think that those games were the best Series games in my lifetime. As a kid, I grew up in central-west Ohio and was a huge fan of "The Big Red Machine". Going with my dad and older brother to Crosley Field for $2 or $3 bucks a head in those days was pure fun and to witness Bench, Morgan, Rose, Perez, and all the others in their prime was truly memorable.

TSAR by Ted Bell is the fiction book I'm reading so far this month. It's my second try with Bell as a writer. I didn't finish his first book Hawk, but may get back to it in the future. This one is about Russia's goal of 'returning to its glory days of the Soviet empire' and the steps they appear to be taking to achieve that goal. Including swallowing up its now former territories that broke off when the "wall" fell. Anyway, Hawk is Bell's recurring character and is in the thick of it, but what I didn't know about the book and like as a side story is that some of the action takes place in Bermuda. Now I've been to Bermuda twice and I must say it is a paradise and his description of the island is bringing back many wonderful memories of that island and even many of the places my wife and I stayed at toured while there. A bonus. I'm hoping the book will maintain my interest. So far so good.

On deck I've got two Daniel Silva books featuring his character Micheal Osbourne. I've read and recommend all of Silva's Gabriel Allon series of books, starting with The Kill Artist. Looking forward to getting to those before the end of the month.
One more I hope to at least start this month is, This Is Not A Game by Walter Jon Williams. A sci-fi book by an author I've never read before but was impressed by a review of the book enough to give it a shot. We'll see.....

This may be a monthly feature I write about to at least keep blogging, if only once a month. You never know.
However, look for me as host of the Objectivist RoundUp next month. I can't wait!

No comments: