Friday, September 02, 2005

Scarce dollars and a contribution quandary

Obviously, the tragedy in New Orleans and other parts of the hurricane ravaged south are a gut-wrenching sight and my sympathies abound for the honestly struggling people who have lost "everything". Gus van Horn has a very worthy organization that has requested funds to assist in rebuilding it's home for veterans, and I certainly would donate to that cause---however---I recently received a letter from the Anthem Foundation for Objectivist Scholarship requesting a donation, or pledge of a donation, for the work it is doing in spreading the good works of young, talented, Objectivist scholars who are already in academia and the prospects of new programs, especially at an Ivy League school, among others, that the foundation has already received requests to set up as soon as possible. They are soliciting $140,000.00 from ARI donors to assist in this hugely important step to spread Ayn Rand's ideas in five new universities across the country.
Setting aside the fact that millions and billions of dollars are already pouring into New Orleans and other ravaged areas, via many good American's, and all of us via the Federal Government, the sum of $140,000 is not that much to try to obtain from a small group of dedicated people.
Speaking for myself, my dollars will have more positive long-term effect for me, for America and for the American people, going to the Anthem Foundation, than to any relief charity. If I could do both, I would, without hesitation. This month however, my meager/spare dollars are going to plant the seeds for a more positive future. Even if I don't live to see it, I know that my efforts will have made it come into being.

Anthem Foundation for Objectivist Scholarship
900 East Hamiltion Avenue
Campbell, CA 95008

[Update: 9/4/05. The Anthem Foundation is a 501(c) (3) non-profit, so your contributions are tax-deductible. Hey, there's really no 'quandary' at all, is there? ;-) ]

No comments: