Thursday, February 03, 2005

Best Books of 2004

I thought I'd compile a listing of the books I read last year and throw it out here for all to see. These are in no particluar order and do not include every book I read last year, but the ones I liked the most and that should interest those looking for some pleasurable reading that also gives the reader something to think about and to enjoy. Of course, none compare to an 'Atlas Shrugged' and they aren't supposed to.

Booked to Die by John Dunning
The Kill Artist by Daniel Silva
Digital Fortress by Dan Brown
Deception Point by Dan Brown
Angels and Demons by Dan Brown
The English Assassin by Daniel Silva
Darwin's Blade by Dan Simmons
The Code of the Woosters by P.G. Wodehouse ( a classic, and best intro to Wodehouse)
The first four books of Terry Goodkind's fantasy series, starting with:
Wizard's First Rule
Rules of Engagement by Gordon Kent
The Chronoliths by Robert Charles Wilson (one of my top favorites)
Cutout by Francine Mathews ( best espionage book I've read in years)
Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand (this marked about the 25th time I've read this novel)
Essays on We the Living edited by Robert Mayhew
The Crook Factory by Dan Simmons ( this story is set in WW2 and features Hemmingway and a cameo by Ian Fleming. Fun.)
Heart of a Pagan by Andrew Bernstein (worthy of several readings)
His Dark Materials a trilogy by Philip Pullman (excellent)

As for 2005, I've got stacks and stacks of books waiting for my eager eyesight. Authors like Robin Hobb, more John Dunning, more Terry Goodkind, Edward Cline's Sparrowhawk series, more Daniel Silva, many others.


No comments: