Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Kindle for PC

Like others who are chiming in on the e-book phenomenon, I wanted to try one of these out for myself. Since Amazon is offering there Kindle "OS" for free to use on the PC, that was the perfect choice for me (grin).
Still, being as old as I am, I prefer having a quality paperback or hardbound book in my hands when truly enjoying a good/great book, or if I am seriously studying a subject, that, plus a good pen and notebook at hand.
However, for the sheer pleasure of reading books that I don't want to pay full price for, or that are classics and available for free, I think this format can't be beat. I've had the PC Kindle for a little over a month now and I am finding that I am quite pleased with how it's working for me. Now, I haven't gone under the hood and experimented with every nuance, but for finding a current book that's less than, or half, of the book price and just reading it, with a bookmark to note where I've stopped, I give this high marks.

[Disclaimer: I will not make a cent on the books I am about to mention, so don't come knocking at my door to arrest me for not paying taxes on a non-existent income]

I currently have three books I'm reading at various intervals. They are:

China's Megatrends by John and Doris Naisbitt
Architects of Ruin by Peter Schweizer
The Fabulous Clipjoint by Fredric Brown

Anyway, that's my two cents on the e-book market. Like others, I will wait till that market shakes out and a definite standard is reached before I buy.

No comments: